My Associates Store

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

So here I sit

Well as the title says here I sit. Where you ask. Well that is why this blog has a locator. I am sitting because I ran out of legal hours to run. This is a bummer because it means I now have to wait until monday to deliver this load. That means I now have 4 days to travel 1000 miles. While this may seem like alot of miles to some it is usually less than two days for a truck driver. On monday I will deliver in Minnesota and then my current company only has until thursday to get me back to Omaha, Nebraska to turn in this truck. Some people have asked do I miss Buster. The answer is two sided. Yes, I miss him. I also find it nice to have a break from taking care of him. Those of you that are parents should understand this. I find times like this I notice his absence the most. He would usually be bugging me to take him out so he could take me for a walk. I have been asked what the deal is with the changes I am making. Here is the short answer. Most of the trucking companies in recent years have started prohibiting drivers from taking pets in their company trucks. This includes the one I currently work for. I have been trying to find Buster a good home for a while now and have had no luck. While looking into alternatives I came across a way I could lease my own truck for a year. This eliminates the issue of having the company truck rules imposed on me. This also gives me another year to find Buster a good home. Why am I looking for Buster a good home. Those of you that are non smokers should understand how it is sitting in a vehicle with a heavy smoker all day every day. The other issue is that the trucking environment does not lend itself to having an active lifestyle. Not only are there many customers that do not allow pets out of the truck on their property but 11 hours of driving and 8 hours of sleep leaves only 5 hours in a 24 hour day. These five hours are usually taken up with fueling, servicing, paperwork and eating. Buster is a high energy dog that enjoys exploring the outdoors. We do not find much time to do this. Although he seems content with this lifestyle I do not believe it is the best for him. Well that's it for now...Time for all you english majors to correct my grammar and punctuation.....Jimbo

No comments:

Post a Comment